Wednesday 6 June 2012

Full Moon Cafe - Havelock
Island Vinnie's in the tiny island of Havelock in the Andamans, is where its at. I mean not just the Full Moon Cafe but the whole experience of a wild, hip, roughing it out, tropical,on the beach kind of life. This is the spot for divers in the island and people flock from all over the world to experience the secrets of the ocean with them. And this was where I had originally booked us into. But I changed my mind later on second thought and canceled it because I realized that although I was ready for the wild and hip tropical beach life, I still wasn't ready to rough it out. So eventually I decided that I would go to Island Vinnie's not to stay but only to eat at the Full Moon Cafe which delightfully came highly recommended.


And imagine more delight to this already delighted self when I heard that the head chef was from Nepal. It took me a moment of deep self-control to stop myself from clapping in further delight. And that is the story behind why I chose to eat a Thali on my first lunch at the Full Moon Cafe. I usually don't eat food that reminds me of home when I eat out because it just doesn't make any sense at all. I would stay at home if I want to eat home styled food,is my argument. But I couldn't resist the urge to know what a Thali prepared by a Nepali chef would taste like in Havelock. Would it have Nepali infused flavors was my curiosity.

It didn't but it was subtle and I think was a marked effort of delicate restrain from over-spicing and over-tempering the curries which was a welcome cry, far from the heavy and rich Indian Thalis that I have tasted so far. Which is why I went back and had it a second time the next day. 

The Full Moon Cafe became my favorite place to go, eat fresh, light food from around the world (Umm, I tried the Mediterranean Platter yet again which had Hummus and even Babaganoush), drink a couple of chilled and just relax with a book in the cafe or doze on the beach.


And I also really like them for the Anti - Plastic campaign which they have initiated in Havelock. Can we not pollute more beaches please? 


Fresh Papaya Juice - a daily staple


Fish n Chips


Silken Garlic Aioli


Falafels dripping with fresh Tahini


Part of the Mediterranean Platter - Babaganoush with roasted peanut garnish in the middle




Following my bliss...






My Hummus Recipe 


So today I am making hummus for you guys which was a huge hit in Petrichor (sniff!sniff!) and a daily staple to snack on for us. I still make it once in a while for Zy when he wants something 'tasty' to dip his carrots in. 


Ingredients
it sure is some of the best flavors in the world combined



cayenne pepper and roasted cumin powder



dry parsley( because fresh ones are not available in Darj) . boiled and strained chickpeas




lemon and garlic 



olive oil and natural plain yogurt




homemade tahini
and
salt 

Here's what i do :

Soak chickpeas overnight.

Boil them with salt and leave them aside with some remaining chickpea juice.

Dry roast the garlic and cumin seeds and grind the latter to a fine powder. You can use store bought cumin powder as well but i like to prepare it this way because the flavors are more rich to taste.

Next, i  make my homemade tahini. There's nothing much to it. Just dry roast your sesame seeds in a thick bottomed pan until it starts giving out its musky roasted aroma and turns slightly brown. Take it off the heat and blend it in a blender with a big splash of olive oil. You can add salt for flavor and some lemon juice if you want. But i keep it plain because i add the seasoning fresh when i'm actually making the main dish.

Now put the chickpeas with the juice, yogurt, roasted garlic and cumin in the blender and mix until a smooth and creamy texture is formed.
 Mix in the tahini and pour all contents in to a bowl. 
Add the cayenne pepper, lemon juice, salt, parsley and fold them in to the mixture. Top it with loads of flavorful extra virgin olive oil.

Serve the hummus with anything - it's healthy, it's light and will just about make anyone's day!!
Enjoy...










Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment